Today I am hosting my author friend, Sheila Deeth.
Sheila Deeth is an author who writes children’s Christian books and adult contemporary novels. She has enjoyed writing since childhood, and decided to write professionally about ten years ago. Sheila has a clever way of combining math concepts in her books, such as Divide by Zero. She also has written a number of Christian children’s books which are largely available through Cape Arago press. Sheila has been a wonderful inspiration to me in my writing journey. I appreciate her friendly encouragement and her charming British accent. I encourage you to discover the charm of Sheila’s children and Young Adult books. What follows is a short primer to answer the question: “Who is Sheila Deeth?” Enjoy.
Ten Things you may not know about Sheila Deeth.
Ten is such a good number isn’t it? Ten fingers; Ten Commandments; two digits; ten favorite children’s books; ten best… whatever? I had to write a blogpost recently listing “seven things you may not know about me.” But I’ve looked around the internet, and “ten things” seems much more common. So here’s my attempt to tell a fellow author ten things about me.
- I lived in the States for ten years (see, I said it’s a good number!) before I was allowed to become a citizen.
- The judge who welcomed me made a wonderful speech. I can’t remember if it had ten points, but I do recall him reminding us our diversity is something to be proud of, a vital part of what makes America strong, so I’m proud to say I’m an English American.
- I grew up Catholic but my Mum is Methodist. My husband grew up in the Church of England. My uncle served a term as President of Gideons in England. My brother’s a priest, and I’m an ordained, but inactive, elder in the Presbyterian Church (USA), so I’m proud to say I’m a Catholic Protestant, or better still, a mongrel Christian. (I do love those sweetly unique, intriguingly different, and ridiculously healthy mongrel puppies! And I wonder what life would be like with ten dogs!)
- I earned my BA in mathematics as from Cambridge University in England. Then I specialized in mathematical astronomy during my post-grad year, so I’m proud to say I’m a mathematician and a scientist.
- I have loved reading and writing ever since the day I learned to hold a book and a pencil. Sadly it took a while for me to reach that stage as I was an eager teller of stories but a slow learner.
- I learned to call myself a writer when I met the author Jane Kirkpatrick—technically I won her in a raffle, or won an hour (plus significantly more than ten minutes) of her time. She assured me that if I loved writing and actually wrote words, then I fulfilled the definition.
- I learned to call myself an author when I received my first royalty check and had to declare it on my taxes.
- I have three sons, all of whom did way too much math in high school, and all of whom were excited when their ages moved into double figures. The one who’s nearer thirty now seems less pleased by his advancing years, and I feel old.
- My youngest son writes wonderful stories and plays, which I hope you might get to read sometime.
- And ten years ago (what a wonderful number) I started seriously trying to get my work published. Since then I’ve found or been found by four different publishers—and I’ve got to admit, four’s a pretty good number too!
So, that’s me. And this is my latest book, sixth in a series, written for parents, grandparents and kids, mathematicians, scientists, readers of the Bible, lovers of historical fiction, and any other devotees of short tales.
Meet the Emperor Augustus’s advisors, the quiet research student helping wise men study stars, the shepherd whose granddad keeps complaining, an Egyptian fisherboy, a Roman soldier, and more in this set of forty 5-minute read-aloud stories based around the events of the Christ Child’s birth in Bethlehem.
Amazon kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EY172MA/
Barnes and Noble nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bethlehems-baby-sheila-deeth/1116985949
Find out more about the Five-Minute Bible StoryTM Series on the publisher’s website: http://capearagopress.com/Five-Minute.html
Connect with Sheila at:
Sheila Deeth: http://about.me/SheilaDeeth
Fan page: http://www.facebook.com/SheilaDeethAuthor
The author interview of Sheila Deeth first appeared on jaynechaseloseke.com on November 11, 2013.
Great posts Jayne!
You are most welcome. It is my pleasure to host you today, Sheila.
Thank you so much Jayne. It’s lovely to be featured on your blog.